I am the mom of a 10 year old son with Cystic Fibrosis (Ty) and an 11 year old son without CF (Bran). This is my journey as I balance Ty's needs while giving Bran the love and attention he deserves.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

My blog...

is officially underway.  Wow!  I have much respect for everyone's pages now.  Designing these things are a lot of work when you have no clue what you're doing!  Well, there's no time like the present so shall we begin??

Tyler has had pneumonia since November 2009.  He woke me up screaming around midnight one night.  I thought he was just having a bad dream.  I went into his room and he was laying on his side.  He wouldn't move.  I assumed his stomach was hurting because he has so many tummy issues, but he assured me it was his side.  He was in so much pain and I didn't know what to do so I told him I would take him to CMC-Charlotte.  The ER was unbelievably easy and hassle free.  The ER doc immediately diagnosed pneumonia and put in a page to the on-call CF doctor.  To both of our surprise, we weren't admitted and was instead instructed to follow up with the CF clinic on Monday.  We did oral antibiotics for the next two weeks and was told our next appointment would be in 3 months.  I politely asked how we could be sure that the pneumonia would be gone in 2 weeks without a follow-up. So to ease my mind we were given orders to get another x-ray and bring them with us in 2 weeks.  The x-rays revealed that the pneumonia was even worse.  We went in to get our 1st PICC line and did home IVs (5) times a day for the next 3 weeks.

A month later we were back in the ER with the same symptoms once again.  This time Ty had strep throat and  again pneumonia.  Once again we followed up with the CF clinic on Monday.  During our visit  the doctor was heavily considering that we go into the hospital for a tune-up.  He said he would check on a few things and be right back.  When he came back he acted like everything was perfect, that Tyler was where he needed to be and he would see us in 3 months.  We were shocked.  Disbelief.  Did that just happen? Within 2 days Ty was once again screaming with side pain.  I called the doctors office and we were told to follow up with our Pediatrician.  You want me to do what???  Needless to say, the pediatrician's office repeatedly said we had to call the CF clinic back since it was pneumonia (and CF) related.  I finally had hem talk to Dr. Thevaos (we love you!!) and he agreed to see us. 
That was my final straw so we moved our care to the CF clinic in Chapel Hill, NC.  So far we have been totally blown away with the care that we've received.  We found out things we never knew, namely that Ty has polyps in his nose and that he cultured things I have never heard of.  We were given another PICC line and really high doses of antibiotics (Vancomycin, Ceftazidime and Septra) to combat the pneumonia, MRSA and pseudomonas.  Ty kept getting sick on his stomach and wouldn't eat, so we moved him home where we're doing 7 IV's a day, 8 breathing treatments and 60 minutes of chest therapy.  We go back to Chapel Hill on Thursday.

PFTs went from 62% to 59% (pre IVs), to 78% and 83% (during IV's).  Let's pray for even higher numbers on Thursday! 


  1. new follower!! i will post about you blog in my new post!

  2. I'm jessica 23 with cf and cfrd I wanted to say hi and welcome you to the blogging world. =)

  3. Thanks a million ladies!! I sure do appreciate it!

  4. new follower - LOVE the blog.

    Good job on switching CF teams. Sounds like you made a healthier decision!


Create a playlist at